"Taxpayers' rights and responsibilities" means the rights provided to taxpayers in sections 718.11718.12718.19718.23718.36718.37718.385717.011, and 5717.03 of the Revised Code and the responsibilities of taxpayers to file, report, withhold, remit, and pay municipal income tax and otherwise comply with Chapter 718. of the Revised Code and resolutions, ordinances, and rules adopted by a municipal corporation for the imposition and administration of a municipal income tax. Please reference your municipality‚Äôs ordinance.

Who must file a return?
For all municipalities, residents age of 18 and over, regaredless of income, must file. Anyone who receives income from rental properties, partnerships, self-employed business ventures, etc., must file an annual return regardless of any tax due.

Tax Rate
View rates here

Retired Individuals
Social Security and other forms of retirement and permanent disability incomes are not taxable. However, retired and disabled persons with other sources of income must file and pay tax on those other sources of income.

Residents who are 60 years and older may qualify for an exemption of the mandatory filing requirement. Please contact our office for further information.

Income that is not taxable
State unemployment benefits, interest and dividends.  For a full listing click here Non-Taxable

Taxable Income
Includes wages, self-employment, farm income, rental property, partnerships, certain trusts, baby sitting, subcontract work, non-employee compensation, sick pay, cars and housing provided by the employer, stock incentive plans, distributive shares from Sub Chapter S corporations that are located outside the municipal limits, proceeds from gambling and other prizes, certain royalties, etc.

Deferred compensation plans are not allowed as a reduction to income.

Federal Form 2106 expenses are allowed in accordance with Federal guidelines.

Losses resulting from businesses and rentals can not be used to off-set taxable income excluding W2 income.  Losses can be carried forward for five years.

Part-year Residents
You will only be taxed on the income received after the date that you moved to your municipality. When filing your first return it will be necessary to attach both your W-2 and a year to date pay statement (provided by your employer), as of the beginning date of your residency.

Credit will be given for taxes paid to another city, but are limited by the tax rate of your city of residence.  Cridersville residents are limited to 0.25% of taxable wages paid to another city. Lakeview residents are limited to 1.00% of taxable wages paid to another city.   Covington residents will be limited to 0.50% of taxable wages paid to another city.  Credit will be given to Sub Chapter S shareholders when the company paid the municipal tax at the corporate level.


Extensions MUST be attached to your return when filed.  90% of the estimated tax liability, or 100% based on the previous year, must be paid by the Federal due date to avoid penalty.  Interest is ALWAYS charged.

Due Date
The filing deadline is April 15 of each year unless changed by the Federal government. Returns postmarked after the due date will be assessed penalty, interest, and late filing fees.

Any questions can be directed to our office. Our hours are 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Our office will be happy to complete your returns free of charge.


Tax Rate
View rates here

Employee Withholding Requirements
All employers who have employees working inside the City of St. Marys are required to withhold the tax on the Medicare wage base. There are no allowances made for any type of deferred compensation. Employee contributions to retirement plans, stock options, etc., are all taxable.

Remittance of the tax is due on a quarterly basis, if the tax withheld is less than $200.00 per month or $2,400.00 per year. Returns and payments are due on April 30, July 31, October 31, and January 31.

For those employers whose withholding totals more than $200.00 each month or over $2,400.00 per year, the withholding tax must be remitted monthly and is due fifteen days after the end of each month. Forms are provided at the beginning of each year. If you do not receive the forms, or if you do not receive the correct number of forms, it is your responsibility to contact our office.

Business Returns
The tax is imposed on the net profits of the business. When filing the return you will need to attach a copy of your Federal Tax Return and a copy of your Federal Extension. Schedule X will allow you to reconcile the Federal return with the municipality's return.

Dates to Remember
January 314th Quarter Withholdings
February 28Year-end Reconciliation and W2's
April 15Business Returns (Calendar Year-End)
April 301st Quarter Withholdings
July 312nd Quarter Withholdings
October 313rd Quarter Withholdings

All monthly withholding remittances are due by the 15th of the following month.

All fiscal-year business returns are due 3-1/2 months after the year-end.

Extensions MUST be attached to your return when filed. 90% of the estimated tax liability, or 100% based on the previous year, must be paid by the Federal due date to avoid penalty. Interest is ALWAYS charged.