How Do I...?


Yes, if you are increasing the amperage of your service panel. Contact the Engineering Department.

Yes, but only if you are the home owner AND it is your permanent residence AND you can properly complete the electric permit, in advance, AND you are doing the work.

You can report a street light out by completing a City Service Request form online. The form is located on the main page of the City’s web site under the red tab at the left called City Service Requests. You may also report a street light out by calling the Utility Office at 419-394-3303 or Electric Distribution Department at 419-394-2476. After business hours, call the Police Department at 419-394-2325.

If your power goes out during business hours, contact the Utility Office to report the outage. After business hours, call the Police Department at 419-394-2325. If you heard or saw something at the time your power went out, be sure to report that as well.

Call the Electric Department or Utility Office the day before you need the meter base removed, so we can schedule it.

On an overhead service, a secure point of attachment must be provided by the owner and the entrance cable and meter base is the owner’s responsibility. On an underground service, it is the home owner’s responsibility to have the meter base secured to the house.


You need to bring in a sketch of your proposed project, showing dimensions and location from the property lines, to the Engineering Department and fill out a Zoning Permit Application. We will review your project to see that it meets all zoning requirements. Final approval from the Director of Public Service and Safety will be made within a few days. Zoning requirements differ for each project; therefore, contact the Engineering Department for more details.

No, we do not perform surveys nor locate property pins. We will give you dimensions of your lot and show you how to measure from a side street to obtain an approximate location of one of your property corners.

An Obstruction Permit is required for the placement of any temporary obstruction upon a public street or right-of-way. The cost is $10. It is encouraged that a property owner or contractor find a location off the public right-of-way to place the dumpster or obstruction.

Call the Ohio Utilities Protection Service (O.U.P.S) 1-800-362-2764.

Flags and paint are used to show location of utilities for an upcoming project. Yellow = gas, red = electric, orange = cable/telephone, green = sanitary and storm, blue = water, white = proposed work.

You need a state license in the related field and a $2000 bond in the individual’s name that is performing the work in order to obtain a $10 city license. All licenses expire on December 31st of the year in which it is issued. If you are the bona-fide owner of a single-family dwelling used exclusively for living purposes and that the same will be occupied by the owner and that such owner personally purchases all material and performs all the labor, you do not need a license or bond. A permit is then issued after proof of the above. Contact the Engineering Department to determine the cost of the permit as it depends on the type of work being performed.

Yes, you need to apply for a Zoning Permit for any type of shed, structure, fence, pool, deck, addition, etc. If you are tearing down an old structure or fence and installing new in the same location, you still need a Zoning Permit.


Call the Fire Department at (419) 394-2361. Release forms may need to be signed. Forms are available for download under the Billing tab.

Yes. It may be possible for a City fire truck to be on display at a particular function; however, it depends on the department’s resources, workload, and emergency call volume.

Yes. Fire Department personnel can speak on a variety of topics ranging from home exit drills, fire safety, or emergency medical procedures. To request a speaker for an event or meeting, call (419) 394-2361.

Yes, we will teach all facets except the Healthcare Provider Course. There is a fee charged for this service and courses will be set to fit the instructor’s and department’s schedule.

Ohio State Motor Vehicle Code requires that you pull to the right and stop. Do not slam on the brakes and stop in the middle of the road or make any sudden moves. Also, do not follow an emergency vehicle too closely or attempt to race ahead of an emergency apparatus attempting to benefit from the traffic cleared by its’ lights and siren.

The Fire Department has a medication disposal box located in the lobby of the department.

Check the alarm's manufacture date. Smoke alarms are good for 10 years from the date of manufacture.  If the alarm is nearing its replacement date, replace the alarm.

Replace the battery every 6 months.

  • To reduce smoke, only dried materials are permitted to be burned;
  • Never use gasoline to start a fire;
  • Fire must be constantly attended by a responsible person until extinguished;
  • An attached water hose must be available or a 4-A rated fire extinguisher and extinguishing tools;
  • 3 feet diameter by 2 feet high piles must be at least 25 feet from any structure.
  • The Noble Township Fire Prevention officer must be contacted at 419-733-3857 prior to any open burning in Noble Township.

Call 911. If you have any symptoms or feel ill, exit the building and await the Fire Department’s arrival.

Maximum size is 3 feet diameter by 2 feet high;

  • Acceptable materials to burn include dried wood, natural dimensional lumber scraps, charcoal, propane and natural gas when such materials do not emit dense smoke or noxious odors;
  • Barbecues and fire pits must be at least 10 feet from structures;
  • Portable outdoor fireplaces must be at least 15 feet from structures;
  • Fires on the ground must be at least 25 feet from structures; and
  • Barbecues and fire pits must be commercially manufactured or constructed of non-combustible materials.

Remember to be respectful of your neighbors when you conduct any type of open burning.  The City of St. Marys Fire Department is not responsible for regulating or controlling smoke issues.   Our responsibility is to protect the public from hazardous fire conditions.

Consult the yellow pages under Fire Extinguishers and contact any listing.

  • Garbage;
  • Plastic;
  • Asbestos;
  • Wire insulation;
  • Automobile parts;
  • Asphalt;
  • Petroleum treated materials;
  • Painted wood or wood treated with creosote or pentachlorophenol;
  • Rubber, including tires; and
  • Animal remains.

Notify the Fire Department at (419) 394-2361 and your alarm monitoring company. This should be done before you begin testing and also once you have completed testing and the system is back in service.

Call Auglaize County Emergency Management at 419-739-6725.

Seek shelter in the basement against a wall or in an interior bathroom or closet if there is no basement.

The Fire Department will transport primarily to Joint Township District Memorial Hospital; however, transport will be provided to any appropriate hospital in the area including St.Rita’s Medical Center, Lima Memorial Hospital, and Coldwater Hospital.

Lights and siren are only used when responding to an emergency call or when transporting a critical patient to a hospital. Apparatus responding to calls are often canceled by the first arriving unit once it is determined that the call is not actually an emergency.

Interior fires create a tremendous amount of smoke and heat. Firefighters break windows and cut holes in roofs to ventilate or remove these fire products to reduce the heat and improve visibility for firefighters attempting to rescue trapped victims and to facilitate extinguishing the fire.

No. It is best to place the pets’ food in an open container at the base of the tree or pole and wait for the pet to come down on its’ own.

Yes. Tours of the department can be scheduled by calling (419) 394-2361. Tours are generally conducted between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., usually last about an hour, and are tailored to the ages of the tour group. We request at least one adult for every five juveniles in the group to supervise.

General Services

You can report a dead animal in the street by completing a City Service Request form online. The form is located on the main page of the City’s web site under the red tab at the left called City Service Requests. You may also call the Utility Office at 419-394-3303. After business hours, call the Police Department at 419-394-2325.

No, brush is picked up the first Wednesday of each month. 

Leaves that need disposed of from December to fall of the following year can be taken to the dumpsters located at 331 North Chestnut Street.

You can report a pot hole in the street by completing a City Service Request form online. The form is located on the main page of the City’s web site under the red tab at the left called City Service Requests. You may also report a pot hole by calling the Utility Office at 419-394-3303 or General Services at 419-394-4201. 

If a City snow plow hits your mailbox, the City will repair or replace it.  If snow hits your mailbox and it needs repaired or replaced, it is your responsibility.


All trees determined to be an unacceptable risk will be removed by the City.

Any trees that are determined to be an unacceptable risk, such as a weak structure, disease, and any dead or dangerous trees on private property that may impact public safety.

The City replaces as many trees as possible. Any conflicting infrastructure or existing vegetation may prevent replacement.

Yes, the City will provide a list of tree species that are appropriate for the planting site.

There is no cost for a boulevard tree.

Tree planting will occur in spring and fall, and could be delayed by unexpected invasive infestations, such as Emerald Ash Borer and Asian Longhorned Beatles.

Site limitation and existing vegetation may limit replacement.

A request must be made to the Tree Commission. No planting can occur until they have approved the request.

No, you do not need a fishing license to fish at the K.C. Geiger pond.

No, this must be approved by the Tree Commission.


Yes. Police Department personnel can speak on a variety of topics ranging from crime prevention, crime statistics, or personal safety. To request a speaker for an event or meeting, call 419-394-2325.

You can call the Dog Warden at 419-739-6560 or the Police Department at 419-394-2325.

City code prohibits parking vehicles for longer than 48 hours. Please report the issue to the Police Department at 419-394-2325.

During the school year curfew is 11:00 p.m. Sunday through Thursday and midnight on Friday and Saturday for minors age 17 or less. During the summer months, curfew is midnight every night of the week.

No. Traffic violation tickets must be paid at the St. Marys Municipal Court on Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. or at the Auglaize County Municipal Court in Wapakoneta, 419-739-6766.

No. Contact the Bureau of Motor Vehicles at 419-738-6818 or 419-586-7144.

Yes. Tours of the department and fleet can be scheduled by calling 419-394-2325. Tours are generally conducted between 8 a.m. and 9 p.m., usually last about an hour, and are tailored to the ages of the tour group.

Swimming Pool

The City’s first pool opened in 1957. In 2003, a new facility opened on the same site.

Total costs to build and equip the new facility, remodel the bathhouse, and landscape the site was $1.35 million.

Two pools are provided. The leisure pool is a beach-type entry pool that contains an interactive play feature, two raindrops, and a large slide. The competition pool contains 8 swimming lanes 25 meters in length, and a dive well with two 1 meter diving boards and one 3 meter diving board.

Both pools have stainless steel walls and concrete bottoms.

The leisure pool holds 103,000 gallons of water. The competition pool holds 264,000 gallons.

The leisure pool depth varies from zero depth (beach-type entry) to 3½ feet. The competition pool depth varies from 3½ feet to 12½ feet.

The slide is 17 feet tall.

Filtering the water keeps it clean and clear. Both pools are filtered by high-rate sand filters. The leisure pool is filtered at a rate of 650 gallons per minute (gpm), which results in all of the water being filtered every 2½ hours. The competition pool is filtered at a rate of 820 gpm, which results in all of the water being filtered every 5½ hours.

Yes, both pools are heated by natural gas boilers.

The Ohio Health Department requires that pool water contain free chlorine between 1.5 and 3.0 parts per million (ppm), that pH be maintained at approximately 7.5, and that total alkalinity be approximately 100 ppm. A correct balance of the three helps keep pool water clear. Chemical levels are controlled automatically.

It takes 30 to 40 seasonal employees to operate the facility efficiently.

Solid Waste

Even though they are #2 bottles, we do not accept them due to the possibility of these items contaminating other plastics.

Yes, but the second bin must be pre-sorted with only one item in bin, e.g., all cans, paper, etc.  Please note:  At times only one (1) bin will be taken after holidays and inclement weather.  It is also subject to space availability.  

Items may not be clean or the lids or labels were not removed. Items may not be #1 or #2 plastics. Corrugated cardboard cannot be mixed in with paper.

Trash containers cannot exceed 32 gallon capacity or exceed a maximum weight of 33 pounds. We will not empty containers larger than these specifications.

Yes; however, only if each bag inside the container is tagged. Refuse workers will not lift a container to the truck that is larger than regulation size.

It exceeded the maximum bag size which is 33 gallon capacity with a maximum weight of 33 pounds.

Yes, as long as it weighs 33 pounds or less.

The container may have been overflowing. Also, if you have a full bag on top of a 32 gallon container, it will not be taken unless tagged separately.  Loose trash will not be taken.  

Tags should be placed around the neck of the tied bag or on the handle of the trash container in a manner where it can be easily torn off. Do not place tag flat on the bag or container as it may slide off in some weather conditions.

Yes. Call the Utility Office at 419-394-3303 and request a “Special Pickup”. Fees apply.

Yes. All cardboard must be tagged with the exception of small pizza boxes.

No. An area is available at the General Services Department located at 331 N. Chestnut Street for yard waste disposal. Access is available 24 hours per day, 7 days per week. Please do not discard of garbage or bags at this site.

For trash to be picked up, it must meet all City guidelines including:

  • It must have a tag on it;
  • Trash should be placed at the curb no later than 7 a.m. on day of pick up;
  • Trash containers shall not exceed 32 gallon capacity and shall not exceed a maximum filled weight of 33 pounds. The maximum bag size is 33 gallon capacity with a maximum weight of 33 pounds. Additionally, if trash is overflowing in the container, it will not be picked up, e.g., the lid will not fit on the container.
  • Loose trash.

Paper will not be picked up if it is wet or over the two bag per week limit. Also, make sure no trash is in with the paper.


You cannot file an extension for the payment of income tax. Pay what you can by April 15th. Any remaining balance will have penalty and interest charges. Call our office after April 15th to discuss your account and your plans to pay the balance.

No. By filing your return by April 15th, you will not have to pay the late filing fee even though you cannot pay your taxes on time.

  • Tax forms are available from our office at 106 East Spring Street in St. Marys. Residents of the Villages of Anna, Botkins, Minster, New Bremen, New Knoxville, and Russia can pick up a form from the local Village office.
  • Forms also can be downloaded from this web site under Forms.
  • We now offer a self-calculating, fillable form on our web site. This form is made to work for most filers.
  • A tax form can be mailed to you by calling (419) 394-3303 ext. 3198.

Yes. We now accept all major credit cards; however, a convenience fee of 2.95% is added to each transaction.

By state law, it can take up to 90 days; however, most checks are processed in a shorter period of time.  Plan on at least 4 to 6 weeks.

No, we do not accept property tax at the City Tax Office.  Please call your local county auditor’s office.

No, all school district taxes are handled though the Ohio Department of Taxation. Their web site is

You can call or come into the Tax Department any time from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.  Our staff will be happy to assist you.

Utility Office

Call OUPS for all service lines, as well as gas and cable, at 811 OUPS or 1-800-362-2764. Please call two working days before you dig.

Call the Electric Department at (419) 394-2476.

Meter reading is scheduled every month. If for some reason we are unable to read your meter, we will send a Meter Reader back at a later date or leave a door card for you to call us to schedule a time.

After contacting the Utility Office at (419) 394-3303 to report the outage, you should unplug all non-essential appliances.  Also, keep refrigerator and freezer doors closed. Continually opening and closing these doors will result in faster loss of cold air. If you think you may have heard something that may have caused the outage, please report the noise to the Utility Office

Meters (water or electric) rarely run fast, and if they do, the percentage of accuracy is usually insignificant. If your billed usage is high, it could be the result of a number of possibilities that together we can investigate such as:

  • rechecking the reading that was used for billing to verify accuracy;
  • reviewing your account history – looking at usage for the same billing period last year;
  • looking at conditions that may have changed in your household, such as more people living at the residence, etc.;
  • checking to see if there are malfunctioning appliances that draw supply, for example, lights, fans, or toilets running continuously;
  • verifying that water is not dripping from faucets, shower heads, or outside spigots and hoses.

Many variables can affect your charges for utility services. Remember, charges are calculated based on usage as metered and read monthly. Electric usage generally fluctuates with changes in outdoor temperatures, especially when your house or building is heated or cooled electrically. Water usage also tends to increase during spring and summer seasons with the use of water for gardening, showers and baths, car washing and recreation. Since water consumption is used to determine sewer usage, sewer charges increase along with water charges. Although charges may fluctuate slightly depending on the number of days between readings, many variances in usage patterns can be attributed to malfunctioning appliances that continuously draw power or water.

Electric, water and sewer bills are based on consumption, and the number of days in the service period will cause your bill to vary from month to month. Refuse is billed each month at a flat rate.

Contact Customer Service at (419) 300-3142, if you believe your billed usage for electric or water is incorrect.

Each service, water and sewer, is a different utility with specific and independent costs of operation. Federal and state environmental regulations mandate specific treatment processes, the cost of which is recovered through utility rates.

Yes, the City of St. Marys offers a budget billing option to residential homeowners. Budget applications are accepted each year in August. A twelve month billing history is required with the City at the same address as on the application and your account must have a zero balance due. With budget billing, you make a set budgeted payment each month that is approximately equal to the average monthly utility charge during the prior 12-month period. Although the amount billed each month is the same, the actual charges are calculated monthly and the difference between the amount paid and the amount used is held as a deferred balance. Once annually, a settle-up process occurs and budget customers are required to pay actual and any deferred balances remaining from the current budget year. Budget accounts are reviewed annually to ensure that the budget amount remains close to the current monthly average and are adjusted as necessary.

Utility payments are due the 10th of each month. A 5% penalty is applied for payments received after the 10th. If payment is not received by the 25th of each month, you are subject to disconnection of services.

The following bill paying options are offered by the City of St. Marys:

  • Mail your payment to: City of St. Marys, 106 E. Spring St., St. Marys, OH 45885
  • Pay in person at the Utility Office at 106 E. Spring Street. You may come inside or use the drive up window.
  • A drop box is located inside the main entrance at 106 E. Spring Street.
  • Automatic Payment Plan which pays your bill automatically on the 5th of each month.

On-line bill pay programs offered by your bank or go to  A convenience fee applies when you use this service.

Yes, you may pay with a credit card or electronic check at  A convenience fee applies to use this service.

The bill you receive is for your records showing reading dates, meter readings, usage and charges. As a bank draft customer, your bill also includes a statement that says: Direct Payment-Do Not Pay

Please contact the Utility Office to discuss a payment plan to resolve your balance.

Agencies available to assist are:

  • West Ohio Community Action Partnership (WOCAP) 419-516-0063
  • The Resource & Opportunity Center, Inc. (The ROC) 419-300-5277
  • Agape Ministries, Inc. 419-394-8700
  • Job & Family Services - Auglaize Conty 567-242-2700

Call the Utility Office at (419) 300-3142 to schedule the final metering.

Call the Electric Department at (419) 394-2476.

Personnel Office

Applications remain on file for two years; however, if the City re-advertises for the same position during the two year period, only the new applications received will be considered.

Yes, you can update your application once it has been submitted by emailing the additional information to the Personnel Office or calling or bringing the information in to the office.

No. You must submit an application for each posting that you are interested in.

No. Due to the high volume of applications we receive, we ask that you do not call, e-mail, or stop in to check on the status of your application.  We work diligently to fill vacancies.  We assume all applicants remain interested in the position applied for unless we are notified otherwise.

In most cases, resumes are not required to be submitted with your employment application. If required, it will be specifically stated in the ad.  Resumes, however, can be voluntarily submitted with a completed application. Do not substitute any part of the application form with the words “SEE RESUME”.

Once the closing date has passed, applications will not be accepted or considered.

If your qualifications match our needs, or to determine such, applicants may also be required to satisfactorily complete:

  • Job appropriate testing
  • Interview(s)
  • Criminal history check
  • Driving record check
  • Credit check
  • Reference checks
  • Previous employment verifications

The only residency requirement is for the Director of Public Service and Safety, who must be a resident of the City within six months of employment, unless waived by Council.

No, unfortunately the City of St. Marys is unable to accept applications for positions that are not currently open.