How Do I...?

How do I obtain a city license/permit to perform electrical and plumbing work?


You need a state license in the related field and a $2000 bond in the individual’s name that is performing the work in order to obtain a $10 city license. All licenses expire on December 31st of the year in which it is issued. If you are the bona-fide owner of a single-family dwelling used exclusively for living purposes and that the same will be occupied by the owner and that such owner personally purchases all material and performs all the labor, you do not need a license or bond. A permit is then issued after proof of the above. Contact the Engineering Department to determine the cost of the permit as it depends on the type of work being performed.