The City of St. Marys operates a full-time Police Department with sixteen full-time Ohio Peace Officer Training Academy (OPOTA) certified Officers, a full-time Police/Fire/EMS dispatch center with four Dispatchers, a Custodian of Records, and a Code Enforcement Officer. The department provides 24-hour coverage to our community and its visitors through various means of transportation.
Of the sixteen Officers, one Officer is assigned full-time as a School Resource Officer. The SRO not only provides safety for our students and staff, he and other Officers train our school and area businesses in safety in areas such as A.L.I.C.E. (Alert, Lockdown, Inform, Counter, Evacuate). The SRO is a liaison between our school district and our police force.
The Police Department has one full-time Detective who has achieved OPOTA certifications in Master Criminal Investigator and Master Evidence Technician. The Detective also serves as a Traffic Crash Reconstructionist.
The Police Department believes in high quality training for all personnel. Several Officers have achieved the Master Criminal Investigator certification and three have attained the Master Evidence Technician certification to provide high quality and effective investigations. The department also has two firearms instructors, defensive tactics instructors, three hostage/crisis negotiators, and one Officer certified in computer and cell phone forensics to aid in criminal investigations.
A German Shepherd from Czechoslovakia named "Mattis" is also a member of the department. Mattis is a dual purpose K-9 with certifications in narcotics detection, tracking, and building, area, and article searches. Mattis and his handler patrol our streets as well as conduct numerous demonstrations for community organizations.
It is the mission of the City of St. Marys Police Department to protect life, preserve property, and provide a safe environment for our residents and visitors to live, work, and visit through exceptional police services.
- Honesty: We believe in being truthful in both our words and our actions.
- Integrity: We will do the right thing even when no one is watching. We believe our word is our bond to our community and our decisions will be based on the truth and common sense, guided by integrity. We will be honest in all of our dealings, with justice as our top objective.
- Professionalism: Our conduct and demeanor display the highest standard of personal and organizational excellence.
- Fairness: We will respect and uphold the Constitution, legal and human rights of all persons free from bias.
- Accountability: We will be accountable, public servants who work collaboratively, transparently, and fairly with all of the citizens who live in or visit our community.